People who visited Adelaide’s ice arena on Saturday are being urged to seek medical attention if they become sick, after 16 people were hospitalised with carbon monoxide poisoning.
Firefighters from the Metropolitan Fire Service have spent the early hours of Sunday testing for harmful gases at the Ice Arena at Thebarton.
MFS commander Declan Dwyer said 16 people from an ice hockey team suffered carbon monoxide poisoning at the ice rink on Saturday night.
Watch the latest news and stream for free on 7plus >>
The patients presented to hospital with symptoms including nausea, headaches and vomiting.
SA Health later confirmed 24 patients had been admitted to hospital, aged between 17 and 40.
All are expected to be released this afternoon.
Firefighters from the Metropolitan Fire Service were called to the Ice Arena at Thebarton early on Sunday after children presented to hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning. Credit: 7NEWS
Firefighters have been on the scene ventilating the air and are working to determine the cause.
“When we arrived, we’ve managed to gain entry and started to monitor the atmosphere and did find still very high levels of carbon monoxide in the building,” Dwyer told 7NEWS on Sunday.
Dwyer said carbon monoxide most often comes from an internal combustion engine, which is used in the arena’s ice resurfacing machine, called a Zamboni.
Firefighters have isolated the Zamboni and will monitor whether the levels rise again to confirm whether it is the cause of the poisoning.
Dwyer said it was lucky the patients recognised they needed to present to hospital.
“It’s quite a serious situation, the health concerns could have been quite an issue,” he said.
“It’s clever — they did, in fact, present to the Royal Adelaide Hospital and let themselves be treated.”
Where to now in the search for Samantha Murphy? Police reveal next steps
Bruce McAvaney floored by Aussie teen sensation’s mega sprint
SA Health has issued a public alert encouraging anyone who is still experiencing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning after visiting the arena last night to seek medical help.
Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can resolve once people are no longer experienced to the chemical.
However, SA Health warned some people who visited the arena may still be experiencing symptoms.
“Anyone still experiencing symptoms should seek a medical review today,” Chief Public Health Officer Professor Nicola Spurrier said.
“Pregnant women and very young infants are also advised to be checked regardless of symptoms.”
Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headache, tiredness, nausea and in more severe cases, shortness of breath.