A popular Melbourne supermarket has been closed after toxic dust was discovered inside its store.
The Coles store at Chadstone has shut its doors indefinitely and thrown out bin-loads of product, with union fears cancer-causing silica from nearby renovations could impact workers.
WATCH THE VIDEO ABOVE: Toxic dust detected inside Coles’ Chadstone store.
For more Coles related news and videos check out Coles >>
Coles said “very low levels of silica dust” were detected.
“We have been conducting a deep clean of the store and, unfortunately, due to product safety and quality, need to dispose of a number of products due to contamination from the dust,” the supermarket giant said in a statement.
“Where possible, Coles always donates product that is fit for use and consumption to food rescue organisations.”
Pictures from 7NEWS showed how shelves had been stripped of goods, ready for deep cleaning.
Coles shopper’s uproar over major checkout change: ‘$15 for a paper bag?’
Coles launches new DC Super Hero collectables – free with every $30 shop
The Cancer Council says silica dust is “harmful when inhaled” and, because it is 100 times smaller than a grain of sand, you might be breathing it in without knowing.
“Exposure to silica dust can lead to the development of lung cancer, silicosis — an irreversible scarring and stiffening of the lungs, kidney disease and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease,” the council said.
Coles has binned food and products at its Chadstone store over silica fears. Credit: 7NEWS
Retail and Fast Food Workers Union said workers based at the Melbourne store are “very concerned” by the development.
Other experts have queried why the dust was not contained to the worksite and allowed to waft into the store.
– with reporting by Paul Dowsley
Woman found dead, ‘erratic’ man arrested on Melbourne street
Melbourne restaurant slammed for rude comment left on receipt
If you’d like to view this content, please adjust your Cookie Settings.